Important Update: The Settlement received Final Approval from the Court on September 21, 2023.
Settlement payments to eligible Money Settlement Class Members began issuing in February 2024. Settlement payment checks are void if not deposited within 90 days after the check issue date.
Renters who had a Tenant Screening Report prepared on them by TransUnion Rental Screening may be affected by a class action settlement.
Who is a Money Settlement Class Member?
- You are included in the proposed Settlement if you fit the criteria of one or more of the Class Groups below:
- Age Mismatch Group. Between November 7, 2016 and January 1, 2022, TransUnion Rental Screening Solutions, Inc. ("TURSS" or "Defendant") reported a Criminal Record about you to a third party that did not belong to you, even though TURSS had age information that indicated the offender was older than you were at the time of the report based on your date of birth.
- State Criminal Group. Between May 14, 2019 and January 1, 2022, TURSS provided a report to a third party about you which contained at least one Criminal Record from a jurisdiction in California, Florida, Texas, or Utah, and did not contain a date of birth, Social Security Number, or street address associated with the Criminal Record.
- State Eviction Group. Between May 14, 2019 and January 1, 2022, TURSS reported a Landlord-Tenant Record from any jurisdiction in Virginia or Pennsylvania to a third party that did not report a satisfaction, appeal, vacatur, dismissal, withdrawal, or other favorable disposition of such record that was recorded in the jurisdiction's public docket at least 60 days prior to the date of TURSS's Landlord-Tenant Record report.
- Eviction Disputes Group. Between May 14, 2019 and January 1, 2022, TURSS received a dispute from you related to TURSS's reporting of a Landlord-Tenant Record that TURSS categorized as "action date dispute," "case type/outcome dispute," "judgment amount dispute," or "other" and where the resolution was categorized as "data modified," "data removed," "data suppressed," or "no record available."
- Criminal Disputes Group. Between May 14, 2019 and January 1, 2022, TURSS received a dispute from you related to TURSS' reporting of a Criminal Record that TURSS categorized as "record does not match," and where the resolution was categorized as "data suppressed."
What does the Money Settlement provide?
- The Settlement will provide $11,500,000.00 (the "Settlement Class Fund") to pay eligible Class Member benefits, any Court-approved attorneys' fees and costs, and settlement administration expenses (the "Money Settlement"). Payments were made by check to eligible Money Settlement Class Members. The amount of each check depended on the number of individuals that remained in the Money Settlement Class, the number of forms returned, and the Court's decision with respect to attorneys' fees and costs, and settlement administration expenses. Some Class Members were paid automatically. Others needed to file a claim to be paid.
- If you are a member of the Money Settlement Class, and fall in any Class Group other than the State Criminal Group, you were entitled to receive a payment from the Settlement Class Fund described above, as long as you did not exclude yourself from the settlement. With the exception of the State Criminal Group and some members of the Age Mismatch-Group, eligible Money Settlement Class Members did not need to do anything to receive a cash payment. Given that the Settlement was finally approved, if you did not exclude yourself, you automatically received a payment.
- If you are in the State Criminal Group, you must have returned a Claim Form, postmarked by June 30, 2023, to receive a payment. The Claim Form required you to confirm that the Criminal Record TURSS reported was not yours. If the Criminal Record reported was correct, you did not need to return a Claim Form. If the record that was reported about you was a felony or a sex offense but was not so identified by Class Counsel, you could have returned a Claim Form by June 30, 2023, to receive the additional payment available for those circumstances. To review the information TURSS reported about you, which led to your inclusion in the Settlement Class(es), please click on the "File a Claim" tab, and enter the Notice ID and Confirmation Code that you received on your Notice(s).
- If you are in the Age Mismatch Group, you were not required to return a Claim Form to receive a payment. However, if the record that was reported about you was a felony or a sex offense but was not so identified by Class Counsel, you could have returned a Claim Form by June 30, 2023 to receive the additional payment available for these circumstances.
Claimants for whom either of the above Class Groups apply could have completed and returned a Claim Form, postmarked by the claim submission deadline, or completed and submitted an online Claim Form under the File a Claim tab of this website by the claim submission deadline.
- The Settlement Class Fund was allocated according to Settlement Shares. Class Members received shares based on the Class Group they belong. Each Class Member's payment was determined by dividing the amount remaining in the Settlement Class Fund after the Court-approved deductions for attorneys' fees and costs, and settlement administration costs in proportion to each Class Member's allocated Settlement Shares. Settlement Shares were allocated to Class Members as follows:
|Money Settlement Class Groups
- Age Mismatch Group (Felonies and Sex Offenses and Sex Offender Records)
- State Criminal Group Valid Claimants (Felonies and Sex Offenses and Sex Offender records)
- Criminal Disputes Group
- Age Mismatch Group (Misdemeanors, Non-Felonies, Non-Sex Offenses)
- State Criminal Group Valid Claimants (Misdemeanors, Non-Felonies, Non-Sex Offenses)
- Eviction Disputes Group
- If you are a Class Member in the Money Settlement, you are also a Class Member in a separate Settlement in which TURSS agreed to make changes to its reporting practices (the "Policy Settlement"). There is no money available for Class Members in the Policy Settlement.
- Your legal rights are affected by the proposed settlement even if you do nothing.